We are Near the End - Knee Miracle
My husband, Doug and I are near the end of our three-summer mission to Young Women camp. Life changing is the best way to describe it. When we were asked to take the position at camp we had lived in Utah for a little over a year. We had built an apartment over the garage of the house we had bought with our son Ethan and his family. We had been in our new apartment for three months. Our new couch was delivered the day we got the call. We went to the RV show a few days later and after 6 hours of walking up and down tiny steps, we found the best RV camper. It was $5 under our budget.
I was really struggling with arthritis in my left knee. The RV show didn't help. Then one morning at the first of March, I popped my knee taking off my boots. After that I couldn't walk without terrible pain. I found this way of walking with my leg half bent that helped. I could walk about 400 steps a day, if I walked 800 steps, I would be hurting for days. So, when I was at home I mostly stayed in a wheelchair. I had surgery to correct an old injury of a torn meniscus. While inside my knee the doctor took a scope of my kneecap to prove I didn't have any padding. I still wasn't convinced I needed to have surgery. That first summer, Sister Ferrin asked me every day how my knee was and assured me I would do great with knee surgery...which I wasn't planning. By the end of the summer, I was convinced. By the end, I could easily walk 7000-11000 steps a day!
I know time will pass and I will forget how we did what we did. The miracles, the people, and the way we organized and ran camp. That is the main reason for this blog, and if others could benefit from our experience, this is an easy way to share what we learned.
Comments
Post a Comment