Living in Our TIny House

Camper life was new to us.  We soon realized that we live at camp and only visit our home.  That being said, we have everything we need in both places.  Going home every weekend, we need to take all the dirty laundry, and a few things from the fridge, the end.  We have double everything in the bathroom including all the shower stuff, blow dryer and curling iron, hair stuff, sunscreen, make-up, creams and lotions, baby wipes, towels and wash cloths, vitamins, medicines, and first-aid.  To accomplish this, before going to camp I didn't let supplies run completely out.  I replaced them when they were still about 1/4 full.  Then we had two bottles. I left the smaller amount at home since we were only there one day a week.

In the bedroom, we have bedding and pillows in both places, double chargers (the price to drive home once will pay for the extra chargers) and I happened to have two CPAPs, so I bought an extra mask and put one in the camper and left one at home.  

We have milk and bread, cereal, eggs, juice, canned goods, meat, freezer meals, and snacks in the camper and at home.  Keeping a bag of ice in the freezer at camp was very helpful for staying hydrated. I made smoothies without sugar and froze them in bags to eat whenever I got overheated.  That was extremely helpful.  Baby carrots, celery sticks, grapes, apples, bananas, and cucumber slices were satisfying to munch on and added hydration.

My sweet sister is an RV person, and recommended paper products in the kitchen.  I also brought a set of dishes from home, and we like using both.  We found the camper air-conditioner and plug up appliances don't get along.  If we use the microwave, we turn the air-conditioner off until the microwave is done. Doug likes to use the air-flyer.  He takes it outside, so it doesn't set off the smoke alarm. We use the stove and burners, if possible. The plug-up electric skillet and griddle take up too much space.  A Ziploc bag is useful as a mixing bowl.  I didn't like the taste of water from the faucet, so we brought gallons of water from home.   

We discovered the area where the slide out connects to the rest of the camper was a vulnerable spot for mice to get in.  We kept sticky pads there but the last year we didn't catch anything.  I also only kept food in the pantry and fridge, not in the drawers and cabinets on the side of the camper with the sink.  That may have also helped keep the critters from wanting to come in.  

We made an office at the kitchen table.  Our camper came with a TV mounded behind the table.  With a long HDMI cable, we connected the TV to our desktop computer. We bought a printer that sits beside the table. The printer is an EPSON ET-2850 ECOTANK.  The ink lasted all season.  Three rimes of paper were enough for each season.  I used one of the kitchen drawers for office supplies. We kept supplies in the camper and at home.  Grandpa's old computer and printer sufficed at home. For internet, we got a device from T-Mobile.  It was a good value, and the price was added it to our phone plan.  The signal was strong enough for both our camper and the missionaries that camped next to us.   

We built a ramp because of my knee problems but it was very nice to have.  Going in and out often on tiny stairs was uncomfortable.  Taking groceries and laundry in and out was much easier with the ramp.  

Keeping the camper clean was quite easy when the space was so small.  We just used a broom to sweep.  We mopped with Swiffer Wet Cloths, dusted with Swiffer dusters.  We wiped down the shower while it was still wet.  A wet wipe cleaned the bathroom and kitchen areas.  Our goal is to sell the camper as soon as our mission ends.  We have enjoyed the experience with our tiny house but three summers is long enough.   


Comments